Saturday, August 3, 2013

Weekend waffles

AM loves Eggo waffles.

Every weekday morning as I'm scrambling around the kitchen in my heels, getting lunches together, making coffee, checking my blackberry, sometimes listening to a conference call and running late, AM inevitably asks me to let her cook Eggos.

We've struck a deal that she sticks with cereal or something easy during the week, and can have Eggos on the weekends. (Yet, she still asks.)

Even though I have to admit the low-fat, whole-grain Eggo waffles are somewhat tasty, I much prefer JJ's "homemade" waffles right from our waffle maker. This morning, while he slumbered away, I decided to experiment with his recipe and see if I could decrease the points value. It was a success - thanks to almond milk and applesauce supplements. I also threw some fresh blueberries into the batter, but only for my batch - everyone else crinkled their noses at that suggestion. They don't know what they're missing.


Low-points waffles

2 cups Reduced-Fat Bisquick
1 1/3 cup almond milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons natural applesauce
Splash of vanilla

Evenly divided, this batter made five waffles in our waffle maker for 5 points plus each. Topped with 1/4 cup of sugar-free syrup for 1 point plus, you're looking at an awesome breakfast for just 6 points.

AM told me they're good, but she likes her Eggos better "because Eggos are crunchy." (True, the applesauce replacement did make these waffles very soft.)

My breakfast-eater, on the other hand, was a happy boy. He ate two full waffles.




No comments:

Post a Comment