Monday, August 5, 2013

Quinoa what?

Quinoa is all the rage among the super-duper health-conscious members of my family and friends.

My "normal" family and friends can't even pronounce it. 😄

This past weekend, JJ and I invited these "normal" folks to our house for a cookout. Since summer BBQs almost always feature hamburgers, hot dogs and chips, it seemed necessary to make a salad for a somewhat healthy addition. 

I figured I would be one of the few who would enjoy this quinoa, bean and veggie salad. Boy was I wrong! Nearly everyone had at least one bite - and many had seconds. 

My friend, Sue, asked for the recipe, and told me she whipped up a batch the very next day at her husband's request. 

I will be making this again!

Quinoa and bean salad

Mix these ingredients together in a bowl:
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cobs grilled corn (slice cooked corn off the cob)
2 grilled peppers, sliced
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
1 cup dry quinoa (cook according to directions)
1 avocado, sliced 

In a food processor, mix these ingredients to make the dressing:
1 cup cilantro
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 lime, squeezed
Dash of hot sauce

Drizzle each serving with the dressing before serving. I don't recommend tossing the salad and dressing because it makes leftovers soggy. 

This recipe made 10 servings, 5.4 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment