Sunday, August 18, 2013

A twist on chicken pot pie

My absolute favorite dish that my mom makes is her chicken pot pie. 

I can remember begging her to make it when I was a kid... when I was sick... when I was home for the weekend from college... when I was pregnant... pretty much anytime I wanted a home-cooked meal that had my mom's special touch. 

She makes it right - with a buttery and flakey crust, creamy gravy and rotisserie chicken. In her house, it's served with a fresh salad covered in Ott's dressing, red-hot apples and sweet tea. This is the ulimate comfort meal for me. 

Someday I'll post the recipe and tag it as having 100 points plus per serving. Today, though, I have something else for you - especially if you read that entire description and thought it sounded good, but don't want to spend a week's worth of points on one meal. It's a quinoa, chicken and veggie dish, and it's so easy to make. Here's my version: 

1 tsp. olive oil 
1/2 diced onion 
8 sliced baby carrots 
1 cup rotisserie chicken 
1 cup portabello mushrooms 
2 sliced celerty stalks 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
4 cups chicken broth 
1 cup water 
3/4 cup quinoa 
1/4 tsp. thyme 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Heat the oil in a pot and cook onion, carrots, mushrooms, garlic and celery until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Liquid will disappear, so keep an eye on it and stir frequently. 

Divide into four, one-cup servings, 6 points each. This was supposed to make a soup, but the end result tasted a whole lot like the inside of Mom's chicken pot pie. 

I'm comforted just thinking about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment