Monday, April 30, 2012

Our own farmer's market

I love the farmer's market.

Every weekend during the summer, my kids beg to visit the town square.

My son, the messy one, loves the fountain - and getting his shirt soaking wet.

My daughter, the crafty one, likes the homemade jewelry, headbands and other treasures she finds.

Hubby likes the tomatoes, green beans and potatoes.

I like it all. But, mostly the fresh vegetables.

What I don't like about it? The hit to my wallet to purchase all of those homemade treasures and fresh veggies (in addition to my ridiculous weekly grocery bill).

So, in an effort to teach my daughter something AND to reduce how much we spend at the farmer's market, AM and I have started a garden. It's a small little plot - 4X4 to be exact, thanks to a kit from Walmart. But it features two tomato plants, zucchini, cucumber, squash, basil, green pepper and jalapeno. And, in just one day, my kids swear the plants have already grown.

I can't tell you how excited we are to sink our teeth into our work by mid-summer.

Well, at least I am.

Who knows, maybe the involvement will help to coerce AM and JB to try some cucumber.

Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment